ChatGPT API: OpenAI has Opened Up The ChatGPT Model API
On March 1st, OpenAI announced in its official blog that it has opened up the model APIs for ChatGPT and Whisper, which users can integrate into their applications and products. (The ChatGPT model API address)
What is ChatGPT API
Note that OpenAI has opened up the API for the ChatGPT model specifically. This means that both businesses and individual developers can use one of the most powerful models available, GPT-3.5-turbo, to develop various applications or integrate it into products, such as automatically generating emails, writing Python code, and developing intelligent customer service, among others. With this move, there is no need to spend years and billions of dollars to develop a top-notch model, as it is now readily available.
OpenAI’s move to open up its API is a significant development for businesses, AI-generated content (AIGC) entrepreneurs, and individual developers. It further reduces the costs of technology research and development, marking the arrival of a “AI for all” era.
Why does Open AI open ChatGPT's model API
According to the official statement of Open AI, there are two main reasons for opening the ChatGPT model API.
- First, continuous optimization and innovation: Open AI hopes to help more enterprises and developers to use the Gpt-3.5-turbo model, discover and improve the model together, and continuously carry out functional iteration and innovation. At the same time, we also hope that players from all walks of life can develop applications with more commercial value and creativity based on the Gpt-3.5-turbo model.
- Second, to benefit mankind: Since December last year, Open AI has reduced the cost of ChatGPT by 90%. Now, it is hoped that the saved money will be given to enterprises and individual developers through API. In addition, the Gpt-3.5-turbo model should not only belong to Open AI, it is the common wealth of all mankind and it is time to share it.
According to the information available, the ChatGPT API model that Open AI has opened up is indeed the Gpt-3.5-turbo model. This is the same model that is currently used in ChatGPT. The price for the model is reportedly $0.002 per 1000 tokens, which is ten times cheaper than the original GPT-3.5 model.
At present, Open AI is still improving and optimizing the ChatGPT model. Developers using the Gpt-3.5-turbo model will always get the stable model recommended by Open AI, and also have the flexibility to choose a specific model version.
In addition, for those large enterprises that run more than 450M tokens per day, there are higher requirements for efficiency, load, and throughput. Open AI also provides customized services to meet the needs.
About API Application Scenarios
Over the past six months, Open AI has been collecting feedback from API customers on how it can serve them better. As such, Open AI made specific changes:
- Data submitted through the API is no longer used for service improvement (including model training), unless the organization opts in.
- Implement a default 30-day data retention for API users, and provide more advanced retention options based on user needs.
- Remove Open AI’s pre-launch review (improved by automated monitoring)
- Optimize developer documentation
- Simplify Open AI’s terms of service and usage policies, including clauses on data ownership: users own the inputs and outputs of their models.
Some early users of ChatGPT and Whisper API
Quizlet is a global learning platform used by over 60 million students to learn, practice and master whatever they’re learning. Quizlet has been working with OpenAI for the past three years, using the GPT-3 model in several use cases, including vocabulary learning and practice tests.
With the launch of the ChatGPT API, Quizlet has developed Q-Chat, a fully adaptive AI tutor that allows students to ask adaptive questions based on relevant learning material provided through a fun chat experience.
Speak is the fastest growing English app in Korea, mainly used for speaking training, etc. At present, Whisper API has been used to provide technical support for new AI voice supporting products, and it will be quickly promoted to other parts of the world. Whisper provides anthropomorphic intelligence training for language learners of all levels, providing feedback on their conversational practice and accuracy.
Shop is Shopify’s consumer app used by 100 million shoppers to find and buy favorite products. Shop has developed a new “smart shopping guide” through the ChatGPT API. When shoppers search for products, smart shopping guides will make personalized recommendations based on their needs. Shop’s smart shopping guide will simplify the in-app shopping process by scanning millions of products, helping buyers quickly find what they want.
OpenAI’s ChatGPT API is an exciting new development that gives developers and businesses access to powerful natural language processing models that can be used for a variety of tasks, including chatbots, automated question answering, and text generation wait. This API is open, allowing anyone to integrate this model in their own applications or services. Additionally, the API provides support for multiple languages, including English, Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Portuguese. Due to the openness and flexibility of the ChatGPT API, it will be a powerful tool for many businesses and developers when building more interactive and personalized applications.